Sunday, May 1, 2016

Running on Red Dog Road Author: Drema Hall Berkheimer

Title:  Running on Red Dog Road
Author:  Drema Hall Berkheimer
Pages:  208
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Zondervan
My rating is 5 stars.
I must admit that it is the cover that first drew my attention to the book, then reading the summary I was intrigued.  Reading how life was for others is a favorite pastime for me, because I tend to forget that life for others isn’t a duplicate of mine.  Each place and person mentioned in this biography is unique and treasured by the author and her descendents.
As I read I saw such a stark difference to the way I grew up not only because I am from a different generation, but also from a different place.  Sometimes we look around us and think that what exists has always been so, but when you read a biography the light goes on inside our minds.  We are reminded that life while ended for some, impacted people for generations.
I think the author does a great job sharing some of her memories and granting readers a peek into the past and at people very dear to her.  I can imagine too what a book of memories might mean to those who are descendents from those who leave behind a written map.  You see as we look at our ancestors we in some ways begin to understand ourselves; this is a clear point in the book.
The author is thankful to God for those who raised her and her family as a whole; they weren’t perfect, but they are hers and they are treasures.  It wasn’t just family either; it was best friends who grew up together, kept each other’s secrets and reminisce even today about yesteryear.  I wonder with all our electronic gadgets if we aren’t losing some of our memories because we aren’t making time to journal them for the next generation.
Maybe, like me, you will read this biography and consider writing down your memories, both good and bad so that those who come after will understand where they came from and how important your walk with God was to living life daily for Him.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment