The Inheritance (Secrets of the Shetlands #1)

Title:  The Inheritance (Secrets of the Shetlands #1)
Author:  Michael Phillips
Pages:  432
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Bethany
My rating is 5+ stars.
Many undertake to share stories with people through writing novels with various points of view, themes, and different genres.  Few books are able to touch the soul of a reader deeply; perhaps a few will still be remembered for a long time.  Books take the audience to all sorts of places, on adventures and beg the reader to release the mind’s ability to “imagine”.
In a way that I haven’t come across in many books, both fiction and nonfiction, Michael Phillips shares a very heart-gripping tale.  At first I wrestled with some of the language spoken by characters on Shetland Island, even though the author wrote it with more of an English dialect.  I am not gifted in languages, even English, so it is a blessing to have a friend who edits my reviews!  Part of the story takes place on the island or the mainland; other parts take place in America.
What struck me hardest was the more I read, the deeper the story went to encompass more themes and characteristics.  At first it seemed there was a hint of something special in the story with the Prologue, then the sense of mystery came out of nowhere as an added pull to keep reading.  It is a rich, historical piece of fiction to be sure; yet, don’t be surprised to see aspects and themes such as ancestors, treasures, love, tension and more.
Faith is one of the themes that shows up later in the book, and I am sure you will understand why when you sit to enjoy the novel.  Personally, I eagerly await the sequel to book one as the story continues and perhaps to a third installment.  The chapters are very short which moves the story along at an engaging pace without losing readers.  The plot is complex, the characters intriguing and there are a multitude of themes.  However, there is a richness to the novel that will definitely leave an imprint on the heart and mind of readers for a long time as there is a message that can be understood and practiced in anyone’s life if they so choose to do so.
To me this is the best of Michael Phillips that I have read and thoroughly loved in a long time, and I hope you will enjoy the book too!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts