Through the Shadows (The Golden Gate Chronicles #3)

Title:  Through the Shadows (The Golden Gate Chronicles #3)
Author:  Karen Barnett
Pages:  320
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Abingdon Press
My rating is 5 stars.



This third and final book in The Golden Gate Chronicles series is a winner!  The setting is San Francisco approximately two years after the great earthquake about 1909.  Charles McKinley is a new graduate from law school and has been given a job in his uncle’s law firm.  He, however, soon discovers his uncle’s law firm focuses on whatever and whoever can make his uncle money with the thought of defending those less fortunate definitely looked down on.  Charles secretly longs to help those seeking justice regardless of their social status of which Elizabeth King and her family are among, but his uncle makes it clear his job is to increase the wealth and social position of the firm.
Elizabeth King thought her life would be on stage performing piano concerts.  She has taken lessons for years and has a God-given talent.  However, due to a past secret, her life has taken a different turn.  She now has volunteered to teach at a mission school for Chinese girls rescued from slavery.  Her father’s lawyer had advised him on some investments that went sour so after his death, his estate has left herself and her mother in reduced circumstances.  The new lawyer handling their case is Charles McKinley, who is taking over the case from his uncle.  Sparks fly on their first meeting and they both can’t seem to stop thinking about they other.
I really enjoyed getting to know Charles and Elizabeth.  Their struggles with worthlessness due to how they think others will view them rang so familiar to me and I’m sure to other readers as well.  I liked the aspect of the mission working to save girls of Chinatown from a life of slavery.  I thought it interesting that the home of Miss Cameron still exists today and is still involved in serving the community.  What a legacy!  I have been entertained by each of the three books in this series.  The theme of trusting God in adversity and relying on Him through our life struggles runs through each book is just one of the many themes of faith depicted.  Great job Karen!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts