Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Traces of Guilt (An Evie Blackwell Cold Case)

Title:  Traces of Guilt (An Evie Blackwell Cold Case)
Author:  Dee Henderson
Pages:  400
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Bethany
My rating is 5+ stars.
In Carin, Illinois there lurks in the past secrets that cost people their lives that no one ever found about till now.  In comes Evie Blackwell who is tasked with solving two cold cases:  one of a child abducted and never found the other, the other the disappearance of a family of three.  What is about to be uncovered will surprise the local town folk, but none more than the Thane family.  Their father was the sheriff and now the older brother holds that position.  The middle son is a recently returned soldier and the youngest son owns some local businesses.
I looked forward to reading Dee’s newest novel since I spotted it coming soon some time back on a bookstore site.  The novel for me was well worth the wait as it was filled with suspense along with hope-filled romance.  Each of the three brothers is a bachelor, and the family is a tight faith-filled family which I really thought was inspiring.  I would guess that few could understand what men or woman deal with whether they have been in the service or are local sheriff’s, etc.  The author does a great job of showing how a family comes together to shoulder burdens, pray, get together for fun and more.
I enjoyed how they knew each other’s strengths and weaknesses and didn’t try to change each other.  The family lived close to each other to be of help yet far enough away to have privacy.  The tale of suspense was heightened throughout the book, and the feelings of sadness could almost be felt coming off the pages at different times of the tale.  Dee Henderson kept me guessing till the very end of the book as to how one of the cases would come to conclusion; it was brilliant!
I hope the author plans to bring the character Evie Blackwell back in a future novel perhaps even in the same place as Carin, Illinois.  The ending sure was left open in each of the Thane brother’s personal lives to be able to revisit this family in the future.  However, if the author has some other suspense-filled story to share with readers, I will be reading it for sure!  I hope you enjoy the novel as much as I did as it truly is a story to get glued to for hours!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment