Dawn at Emberwilde (Treasures of Surrey #2)

Title:  Dawn at Emberwilde (Treasures of Surrey #2)
Author:  Sarah E. Ladd
Pages:  343
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
My rating is 4 stars.
While living and working a Fellsworth School, Isabel Creston has accepted her lot in life.  She is the guardian of her younger half-sister, Lizzie and hopes to soon obtain a position as governess to provide for them both.  She has been at Fellsworth since the age of seven when her mother did and her father remarried.  So when she is called to the superintendent’s office, she expects a scolding for disobeying the rules (again).  She is shocked to discover that an unknown wealthy aunt is offering to take Isabel into her home and family and provide for her.  Isabel and Lizzie travel to her aunt’s estate, leaving behind all they have known.
Once settled into their new life, Isabel begins to discover that what she thought she knew about her past may not be true.  Who can she believe?  Is the forest on the grounds of the estate haunted or is there something nefarious going on?  She also catches the eye of two men who begin to pay her attention.  She never expected to love, marry or have a family of her own.  Now she has two prospects, but are they what they present themselves to be?
After a slow start, the last 100 pages or so really wrapped things up nicely.  There was mystery, romance, and a few faith-filled moments to make an overall good story.  I liked the details of the clothing and setting/scenery.  The Regency time period is one of my favorite to read about.  Isabel’s love and dedication to the care of her much younger half-sister, Lizzie, was nice to see.  I liked Lizzie’s character and enjoyed her scenes in the story.  As I mentioned, it took a while for me to get drawn into the story as I would have liked a little more action to take place in the first 200 pages.  Isabel’s character stayed true to how God made her and didn’t change who she was or let wealth change her to be someone she was not.  This book can be read as a standalone without reading the first book in the series, The Curiosity Keeper.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts