Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Like a River From Its Course

<


Title:  Like a River From Its Course
Author:  Kelli Stuart
Pages:  352
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Kregel
My rating is 5+ stars.
When I think of WWII, it rarely enters my mind of how other lives in other nations were affected.   So as I started the novel from Kelli Stuart I simply was pulled into the lives of the characters based on her visit to the Ukraine in 2003.  There Kelli met a real people who lived through times of trial and heartache, learning to live again when the insanity of Hitler’s regime was finally over.
I love the way the author moved the story along by introducing four main characters each with their own chapter and dates.  As I read, I couldn’t put the book down because as a reader the author tells a compelling story that looks at the life of individuals in the scenes with the war as the backdrop.  There were many brave, courageous and daring people who faced life with raw honesty and in many ways counted the cost of their choices, doing whatever was required to stay alive.
Readers will read about a father and his daughter, a Nazi soldier who is but a boy, and a girl whose abusive father throws her out of his house to live amongst the wolves.  It touched my heart and wasn’t hard to mentally envision real people suffering for lack of the basic needs or from the abuse of either the German Army or the Red Army.
My heart and mind will long remember this novel because it is written about the humans we are, both the good and the evil.  I will remember the old woman character who teaches a young woman with a son how to be ready to face the world not by looking inward, but at what others are living with or through during the war. 
I will remember the love of parent s that lost their sons during the fighting and the depth of their grief described.  I will remember how at one point the parents who never had any training in or were taught about God are now seeking to see if He is indeed real.  Or the Jewish girl who knew she had to help another girl reach a new life before her captors might snuff out her life.
I hope you read this novel and share it with family and friends as well as visit the author’s website.  There you will read what she did while in the Ukraine and who she talked to.  I think how wonderful God gave her that moment to get their stories before they passed away as they left words of wisdom and a life with a testimony.  I pray we will all be as faithful to God even in our times of not understanding, grief or some other experience.  I pray too that we leave behind a legacy that will spur others to be courageous in the face of evil, be there for those who are downtrodden and teach others about the God we love and serve!

center>Like a River from Its Course Kelli Stuart


Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment