Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Sister Eve and the Blue Nun

Title:  Sister Eve and the Blue Nun
Author:  Lynne Hinton
Pages:  336
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5 stars.
When I perused other readers/reviewers comments, some of them really surprised me.  I thought out of the three mysteries thus far this book was the best!  The other two in the series are Sister Eve Private Eye followed by The Case of the Sin City Sister.  Lynne Hinton’s series started somewhat rough in the sense of learning to develop a good plot along with suspense.  I am not quite sure what people are expecting, but I was looking for a good tale with suspense and surprises, and that is what I read!
Anyone of the other reviewers could tell you what the novel is about, which in short is a nun who is trying to discern whether to become a full time detective or remain at a convent.  I enjoyed her unrequited nerve to solve a case and take care of her father whom we learn about in the early stories.  I enjoyed that she rides a Harley and is transparent with her feelings and thoughts.  I noticed other readers weren’t that thrilled, but I liked her spunk and quick thinking when faced with surprising situations.
I think most of all I believe the author shows us her humanity and not a character who is thinking more of herself than she should.  Her Christian care for others, both inside the church and outside is commendable and an example of Christ like living.  While Sister Eve cannot decide whether to stay in the convent with the changes occurring in her community, it was interesting to see how she felt about the changes and lost feelings of being close to other nuns.
Eve’s relationship with her father is moving towards a more loving and accepting place, and Eve may have feelings a Detective who works with a former partner of her father.  I wonder if the author will have her character take a risk and new direction in her life or remain a nun.  I hope other readers will consider enjoying the book regardless of some of the negative feedback because it really was a good book to sit down and enjoy!  I hope Lynne Hinton keeps bringing mysteries in for Sister Eve to solve and eventually decide which vocation she will choose whether remain a nun or become a P.I.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment