When You Come Home (The True Story of a Soldier’s Heroism & His Wife’s Sacrifice)

Title:  When You Come Home (The True Story of a Soldier’s Heroism & His Wife’s Sacrifice)
Author:  Nancy Cavin Pitts
Pages:  224
Year:  2011
Publisher: Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas
My rating is 5 stars.
Yes, it is a hard book to read as it really lets us see what one soldier’s wife endured during WWII.  I felt compelled to read the book and allow my heart to travel the journey of the life of Mr. & Mrs. Raymond Kelley.  Back then there was no easy or quick way to connect soldiers with their loved ones back home.  The most heartbreaking response to a knock on the door was when a loved one received a Western Union telegram telling them about their soldier.
Mrs. Kelley was a young wife who looked forward to many years growing old with her new husband, Raymond, prior to the breaking out of war.  Unfortunately, she didn’t get that desire.  In a very transparent way, her daughter shares the life her mother lived including both the joy and the sorrows.  We see how one woman had to rebuild her life after she lost her husband and her journey through grief.
I think many could benefit from reading her story and being reminded of the cost paid for what we enjoy in America today.  While Mrs. Kelley did remarry some time later, gave birth to a daughter and lived to an older age, we can be taught much from her love story.  We get a peek into the private moments of this lady’s heart, travels to visit her soldier and a life after tragedy.  I think it is by no means an accident that it is Memorial weekend when I am reading this book, for isn’t it a time to remember what others have done and continue to do for America today?
A lump in my throat was there at times, a smile at other times.  I found it interesting how she and another widow felt when the war was over.  It never occurred to me what they might have felt or thought as most just remember the rejoicing in the streets.  There is a time to sit and remember those who went before us; those who have passed on the mantle for us to carry the light of God and to take the fight for our nation to our generation.  Will we?

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts