A Lady in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies #1)

Title:  A Lady in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies #1)
Author:  Heather Blanton
Pages:  282
Year:  2013
Publisher:  Rivulet Publishing
My rating is 4 stars.
A Lady in Defiance can best be described as a raw look at the Old West with a multitude of themes.  As I read, I sensed the spiritual warfare, evil, hate and yet the blossoming of hope for those who knew none.  On some pages scenes were described with too much detail that embarrassed this reader/reviewer and I thought unnecessary to the story.
The western genre is one of my favorites.  Authors who write sometimes put material in their story that detracts a reader’s attention.  Other authors seem to go out of their way to be too descriptive, but really for me the whole issue is forgetting readers have wonderful imaginations.  Authors shouldn’t feel obligated to describe scenes between men and women as people.  Not only are readers aware of what goes on, but in God’s eyes it is a holy moment.
Now, overall, I thought the story brought out some of the best themes of all which is redemption and obeying God even when it requires humbling oneself or unconditionally loving others and reaching out to them with His love and message of restoration.  I think the author did a great job of showing too how other people can tell a believer isn’t being honest or truthful because it shows up in their actions.
I loved how the characters wrestled with God; they spoke openly with Him whether with thanksgiving or anger.  The Scriptures in the story were well connected to what the fallen women in Defiance needed to hear.  The two main men who ran the town of Defiance each had a spiritual journey that was for one returning to God and the other…well, readers will have to wait and see.
Just beware these novels aren’t for youth or teens; they are best for adults who aren’t put off by an occasional short scene that could have been left out.  Above all though I hope readers come away from the book with thoughts of hope, restoration, redemption and knowing how well God knows each of us very intimately.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts