Deceived by Irene Hannon

Title:  Deceived (Private Justice #3)
Author:  Irene Hannon
Pages:  418
Year:  2014
Publisher:  Revell
Kate Marshall moved to St. Louis two years ago for a fresh start.  She works at a women’s career counseling center, putting her degree in psychology to work.  She is involved in her church and is asked by an elderly member to run an errand at the local mall.  Kate agrees and while there sees a little boy who looks just like her son.  The problem is three years ago her son was declared dead after a boating accident.  The authorities were able to find her husband’s body, but they never found her son’s body.  Kate thinks she must be seeing things, but the more she thinks about it the more sure she becomes.  She decides to present her story to a local PI firm and hire them to investigate.  She immediately feels confident and safe with Connor and trusts him to do a thorough job, even if the results are not the ones she wants.
Connor Sullivan and his partners have had their PI business for five years.  They have listened to their fair share of strange stories, but Kate’s story ranks near the top for not being believable.  Connor believes Kate is not crazy and tells her he will do some preliminary work, but makes sure she understands the slim to none odds that this little boy from the mall is her son.  Connor gets one lead and pursues it, then another lead is discovered and he begins to believe there may be something to Kate’s story.  Along the way, he also begins to think Kate may be the woman he has been waiting for his whole life.
After reading the prologue, I was intrigued as to where this mystery/suspense tale was going to take me.  The first chapter got me hooked; it was a nail-biter!  However, after the following few chapters, the story seemed to slow down too much for my taste.  The last third of the book picked up the pace again with a memorable final scene to cap things off.  I have read each book in this series and have enjoyed them all.  I loved the faith demonstrated by the two main characters and Christian aspect presented in the story.  I also liked how they were transparent with the mistakes made in their past and how they had learned and changed as a result of their faith in God.  I look forward to continuing to enjoy Ms. Hannon’s other series in the future.
My rating is 4 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts