Monday, July 11, 2016

Murder, Mezzo, Forte (A Preston Barclay Mystery #2)

Title:  Murder, Mezzo, Forte (A Preston Barclay Mystery #2)
Author:  Donn Taylor
Pages:  298
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Lamplighter Mysteries
My rating is 4 stars.
This Preston Barclay novel focuses on the man who teaches history at a university and recently solved a murder at the school.  Now, after a reception for the staff, trustees and other administrators, Preston and another professor, Mara Torn, find another dead body.  Preston knew this female professor because she was a friend of his late wife.  Were Professor Preston & Mara set up by some unknown assailant to discover the body and thereby be under suspicion for the murder?
There were a lot of one-liners throughout the novel that made me laugh out loud.  The main male character of Preston has a dry wit and sometimes speaks his one-liners at imperfect moments.  Mara and Preston became friends as they solved the prior murder on campus.  Mara though has kept her heart guarded due to a prior bad marriage.
Throughout the novel there were many references to a variety of music pieces, some classical while others were of other genres.  I thought the reference to the murder victim’s name was brilliant as well as the reason behind her nickname.  What sometimes disrupted the flow of the story was the amount of musical pieces referenced, even though I understood it was playing inside the head of Preston.  The reason the music was playing was to help Preston deal with life as some of the pieces were played when his wife was alive.
The ending was left at a place that leaves me to think the author might be bringing out another novel with the main characters of Preston and Mara.  I hope so as I enjoyed watching a possible romance and future with these two characters blossom the further the plot developed.  This is a good story that kept me guessing; there were just too many musical pieces referenced for me.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment