The Fifth Column (The Blitz Detective #2)

Title:  The Fifth Column (The Blitz Detective #2)
Author:  Mike Hollow
Pages:  326
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Lion Fiction
My rating is 4 stars.
Detective Inspector Jago and Detective Constable Cradock are called to the scene of a recent bombing where the body of a young woman is found.  The strange thing is that when the men charged with helping clear the area after a bombing tell Jago that when they cleared the area there was no body, but when they returned to the scene to finish up, there she was.  Jago must identify the woman as there is no identification on the body, then notify the next of kin and track down a killer.
There seems to be another mystery as well with missing parts from a company that is working on secret projects for the government.  It just so happens that once the woman is identified, it is also discovered that she works for the company that is losing inventory.  Jago must determine if the two mysteries are related.  If they are, does that narrow the field of possible killers?  If not, then he has got two mysteries to solve.  He also begins to realize he misses Miss Appleton, an American reporter stationed in London to report on different aspects of the war.
I enjoyed reading about life in 1940’s London during WWII almost as much as the mystery!  I was able to predict the outcome, but the journey to get there was certainly worth the time.  I was pleased with the beginning of a romance for D.I. Jago.  D.C. Cradock provides good support and some comic relief to the serious demeanor of Jago.  Jago also takes Cradock under his wing, teaching him how to follow clues and analyze suspects’ reactions.  I look forward to the third book in the series to see what Jago and Cradock are investigating next and at what point in the war the story takes place. 

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts