Monday, September 19, 2016

Forever Gentlemen by Roland Colton

Title:  Forever Gentleman
Author:  Roland Colton
Pages:  480
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Anaphora Literary Press
My rating is 5 stars.
The first piece of information I found interesting was who the author is; he is a man of many talents and gifts.  I believe his attention to detail as a classical pianist and attorney shaped his ability to tell a riveting story with such detail.  I found it quite intriguing that the main character in the story is a male named Nathan Sinclair and readers will be able to see the humanness built into his life, personality and experiences.
I love historical fiction and this type of book is a first for me as I usually prefer the Old West.  However, occasionally I love to break out of the mold so to speak and try something new.  Here is where I did just that and I am grateful to the author for his story.  The tale from page one reaches out and pulls the readers back to the Victorian era not simply as a romantic story, but more so with the mystery and suspense that coexisted along with Nathan looking for his heart’s true delight.
The settings were so well-described I could forget about the present and get lost in the descriptions of the history, the places, and the other characters in the plot.  I believe another reason the author does an excellent job is his frequent travels to France where he engages in a different culture, one he is familiar with.  Due to Roland’s love of classical music and architecture, art and French language, he brings all those experiences into the novel in such a way that readers will feel like they traveled back in time to witness both the good and bad of the Victorian era.
I was enthralled by the suspense and mystery aspects of the novel while at the same time being somewhat intimated by the length of the book at first.  However, that became secondary and eventually totally faded the deeper I explored the work of fiction that Roland crafted so very well.  I doubt the story would have been as captivating if the author hadn’t taken the time to set the scenes, craft depth into his characters or include the detail in his scenes.  In our day when people are in a hurry or want instant, this is one historical novel that never drags or loses the attention of the audience.  It’s a rich piece of history that includes many facets, and readers will be more than delighted to have taken time to enjoy the rich story!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment