Saturday, September 3, 2016

Heavy Weather (A Carolina Coast Novel #2)

Title:  Heavy Weather (A Carolina Coast Novel #2)
Author:  Normandie Fischer
Pages:  408
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Sleepy Creek Press
My rating is 5 stars.
Let me say this story was more engrossing for me than Becalmed even though Becalmed was a good tale.  However, here we have raw, nail-biting suspense in the midst of an unfortunately harsh reality.  Annie and Roy are going through a messy divorce and there is a daughter involved.  Roy wants her even though he is abusive towards Annie.  Now, that is the main plot and problem the characters are facing with little hope of resolution.
But…the town and people of Beaufort, N.C. are coming together to form a protective barrier not just around Annie, but around two abandoned children.  From the beginning of the novel, the reader’s heart will be gripped and found hoping that in the end hope can be restored in the lives that have been in such turmoil.
Each chapter allows readers to see the situation through the eyes of the characters, which gives a reader an almost 360 degree look at the characters in the tale.  While it deals with some hard issues right up front, in the end readers will feel the hope, comfort and restoration for some of these characters that readers will get their hearts wrapped up in! 
The author develops characters that are both examples of love and care while there is evil too.  Roy is the personification of that at least to me as shown by his actions towards Annie.  Many reviewers make a note of the fact that the novel is Southern Fiction, which I have no idea what difference that makes.  Human capacity to give something good or evil to another is unfortunately inherent in all of us.  The author deals with some very tough issues and yet shows the tender side of hearts with the capacity to love and be healed.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment