The Girl Called Ella Dessa

Title:  The Girl Called Ella Dessa
Author: Karen Campbell Prough
Pages:  300
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Firefly Southern Fiction
My rating is 5 stars.
The year is 1836 and the setting is Beckler’s Cove where people live in small logged homes and day-to-day survival is a premium.  Ella Dessa is the main female character who loves her mother and is abused by her father.  When her mother is getting ready to give birth, Ella Dessa is expected to handle it all alone as her father leaves the home till the babe is born.  From there on, the life Ella Dessa knew is about to be radically challenged many times over.
At the start of the novel, she is a preteen whose family is very poor.  Now she is all alone and expected to stay in the cove without even her father.  When Ella begins to read the Bible, a letter falls out and the letter contains a surprise Ella can’t ignore.  She isn’t sure how it will change her life.
Other families in the cove struggle too and so far Ella knows only one family that shows love like she has never known in her home.  Ella eventually goes to live with a woman who needs help raising and caring for her brood of children and Ella’s loving, compassionate heart ministers to the woman Velma who is single-handedly holding down the home.
The sequel to the novel, Within the Candles Glow, continues to share with us Ellla’s story and I cannot wait to begin the book!  Ella is on the precipice of womanhood and without her mother isn’t sure what will be coming, but she knows that God is with her and He is good.  Her heart, I believe, is molded by her own harsh experiences and her faith is growing too, even though she isn’t sure what to do with the secrets her mother kept from her.  I look forward to Ella’s story continuing and reading more about her life in Beckler’s Cove.  I hope you join me! 

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts