Saturday, September 17, 2016

This Road We Traveled

Title:  This Road We Traveled
Author:  Jane Kirkpatrick
Pages:  352
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Revell
My rating is 5 stars.
If ever a novel were to remind us of the hardships endured by early settlers heading west and the high price paid to establish a new land, here is the novel that excels in doing so!  While it is a fictional story set in the mid-1800s about families traveling the Oregon Trail and their encounters, at the end of the book the author shares what was factual in the story.  For me this book caused me to slow down and become entangled in the journey of the Brown family.
The matriarch of the Brown family is a woman named Tabby, who is by her own admission sometimes sharp-tongued and not one to sit down and watch life go by.  No, Tabby, even though she has a limp from a childhood accident, continues to ask the Lord what He has for her to do.  Once she discovers His will, nothing and no one can stop her.  Readers will become amazed at the way Tabby perseveres and at her heart of love for her family as well as orphans.
History is so captivating because there is so much revealed and remembered and then shared in ways that help to challenge us to press on in our lives as we reflect on those who have gone before us.  What was accomplished by the early settlers, and sometimes the heartaches that tore at their hearts and souls, is simply beyond words of expression.  Here is a work if fiction that challenges us to never “retire”, but to ask the Lord what He would have us do while we are here.
I believe Jane Kirkpatrick shares an exceptional tale that will touch readers’ hearts and souls while causing us to perhaps rethink our plans by asking the Lord for His plan, and then be about whatever He would have us do.  Thanks, Jane for writing a very moving novel.  I hope many read it and share it with people they know.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment