Mary,Chosen of God

Title:  Mary, Chosen of God
Author:  Diana Wallis Taylor
Pages:  320
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Whitaker House
My rating is 4 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org
As most readers can discern from the title, this book is a fictional account about Mary, the mother of Jesus.  The story starts with Mary as a young girl and goes on to cover approximately fifty years of her life.  Readers will see Mary’s love of friendship with Joseph turn to the love of a man and woman.  She is soon betrothed to Joseph, but is visited by an angel of the Lord.  During this visit she learns of her cousin, Elizabeth’s pregnancy and is told to go visit her.  Mary is also told of her joyous task of bearing the long-awaited Messiah.  Mary is in wonder as to how this can happen, but obeys and thanks God for His giving her this responsibility.
When it becomes obvious that Mary I pregnant and unmarried though betrothed, Joseph wants to break off their betrothal.  A betrothal in that time was much more binding than an engagement in this day and age.  However, Joseph receives his own heavenly visitation from an angel and he also obeys God’s command to take Mary as his wife.  The town gossips I’m sure had a field day and I’m sure some shunned Mary or talked poorly about her.  She, however, remained devoted, compassionate and merciful.  She was such a godly example at such a young age in the story.
I liked the details included on Mary and her family’s many journeys, whether they were fairly short by our standards, or longer journeys.  The descriptions were vivid and helped me picture in my mind’s eye what the area might have looked like almost 2000 years ago.  I also relished the descriptions of the Jewish holidays/celebrations, way of life and culture and how Jesus lived through these events.  The gospel message was present well and consistently.  As a mother, I can imagine the hurt and agony she felt as she watched her other children turn against Jesus and then the final moments of his precious life.  I admired her devotion to God in her everyday life as well as in crises.  Something that I certainly can put into practice!
The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.  Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457


Post a Comment

Popular Posts