Thursday, October 20, 2016

Slender Reeds (Jochebed’s Hope) Author: Texie Susan Gregory

Title:  Slender Reeds (Jochebed’s Hope)
Author:  Texie Susan Gregory
Pages:  320
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Shiloh
My rating is 5 stars.
Jochebed lived during the time of the Hebrews’ captivity in Egypt under Pharaoh Ramses reign.  Married to Amram she gave him three children:  Miriam, Aaron and Moses as recorded in the Old Testament.   Read the actual account in the Bible in the book of Exodus, beginning in chapter 2 to learn the true historical account.
What I found fascinating about this fictional novel was life viewed through Jochebed’s eyes.  While this is not a retelling of her life’s story, it is really intriguing to go back in time and consider how Jochebed may have felt, what she may have experienced and lived.  Much of what is presented I thought quite plausible as life was a day at a time existence and their lives were owned by a ruthless Pharaoh.
As I read, my heart was tugged as to what Jochebed may have felt, especially in the way God led her to let go of Moses in the hopes that he would live after Pharaoh had decreed death to male babies born to the Hebrews.  The mother/daughter bond is so touching and how the mother passed on their history as she wove baskets was a stroke of genius on the author’s part.
I also found it gripping how the author had Jochebed struggling with faith, life, and marriage while raising a family during extreme times.  Life was precarious and never guaranteed as it always depended on the decree of the ruler and living so close to the Nile.  I wonder if all the Hebrews did hang their baby baskets from a rafter in order to protect them from scorpions and snakes that would enter homes at various times.  Either way, I couldn’t put the novel down; I was pulled in from start to finish.  The friendships presented, the fragility of childbirth, the clashing at times between the women all were woven so well as to be lifelike.
The ending is really touching and it shows how God can redeem relationships as He redeems hearts!  I cannot wait to see what comes next from the pen of this author!  Read Slender Reeds and share the tale with other friends!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment