The Rector by Michael Hicks Thompson

Title:  The Rector:  A Christian Murder Mystery (The Solo Ladies Bible Study #1)
Author:  Michael Hicks Thompson
Pages:  370
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Shepherd King Publishing LLC
My rating is 5 stars.
The joy of reading a story by a new author at times defies description and here is such a case in point!  I love mysteries, especially those that have me thinking about clues and trying to deduce who the culprit or culprits may be.  Sometimes I just enjoy the adventure of the mystery along with the tension that builds at times subtly till the conclusion.
Michael Thompson has written a wonderful mystery that really engaged my whole being and more so with each page I turned.  There were clues that weren’t clues, but were used to throw me off course and other times he would reveal something I never saw coming!  The author’s main character is a lady named Martha who writes and publishes her own local newspaper as well as running a local boardinghouse in her home.
What seems like a really neat man who cares about his parish, Pastor Cain, boards at Martha’s place for a while.  However, events come about where he leaves the community and the bishop sends another pastor to look after the small flock.  Now, at first glance, a reader might be fooled into thinking it isn’t very exciting or perhaps just an average mystery novel.  Yet, nothing could be further from the truth let me assure you!
I became enthralled into the slowly woven web craftily put forth by the author that centers on a church which seems to have a problem.  However, the problem it has might surprise you or maybe not.  Either way the excitement builds chapter by chapter until the conclusion has you turning pages faster than ever to see what happens next!
The novel is filled with various themes, and at the end of the book is a list of books Michael suggests for further reading and some of them are very good, having read them myself.  So, if you’re looking for a suspense-filled, cleanly written, engaging novel, look no further!  If you know of others who would just love to read, discuss or perhaps a book club looking for its next book, share this one!  Then, seat yourself down for a wonderful, exciting time lost in the pages of a thriller!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts