Monday, December 12, 2016

Breaking Free

Title:  Breaking Free
Author:  Jennifer Slattery
Pages:  320
Year:  2016
Publisher:  New Hope
My rating is 5 stars.
We all know relationships can bring joy and sorrow, love and pain just to mention a few words regarding human interactions.  When a relationship is compounded by something that brings bondage, it complicates matters.  In marriage, while bringing to the human heart more than words express, let’s face it, it is work.  At times it doesn’t seem to take any effort and in others seasons much work while each day we must lean upon the Lord to fulfill our vows.
In Breaking Free, the author shows us the possible shattering effects alcoholism can bring to a marriage and relationships with the children not to mention other friends.  Here is a story of a woman named Alice who must face her naked heart, but where can she go to share her burden where transparency doesn’t become gossip in the friendships she has in church?  Alice is afraid of sharing the truth with anyone.  After all, she is a teacher and what will they think of her when they find out not all is perfect in her home?  Trent’s refusal to seek help causes the family to lose everything.  Now what are they to do?
In a heart-gripping story, readers will see how when human hope fails and when we surrender our life to God, He alone does amazing things.  Before God can work or we surrender, we really do have to hit the very bottom.  In the tale that is exactly what happens and in learning to live each day in God’s hands, both experience a hope that is living and beyond words!  I think the book shows too that we have a choice always in how we respond to the person in bondage, and our choices can affect others both in the home and outside.
I sat reading all night long from start to finish.  I read because I can relate to the call of alcohol in my life many years back as well as what I saw happen in my extended family because of alcoholism.  For me, God delivered me from it and the hardest part was throwing it all out!  I think those who call on Christ must be attentive to how we treat others within the Body as we see what the real cost is of masking our true self from others.
So the challenge is to love as Christ loved us, making hard choices and practice touch love if that is how God leads us.  Finally, I think learning to be the hands and feet of Jesus in a way that covers sins instead of exposing them for all to see, especially when they aren’t our own is needed.  Great novel Jennifer and thanks for sharing with us readers again!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment