Conspiracy of Silence (The Tox Files #1)

Title:  Conspiracy of Silence (The Tox Files #1)
Author:  Ronie Kendig
Pages: 413
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Bethany House
My rating is 4 stars.
Cole “Tox” Russell is a military and political outcast after a failed mission in which many lost their lives.  As a result, Tox is sent to prison where he “dies”.  In reality, he is sent to Africa and basically not welcomed on U.S. soil.  That is until his military skills are needed to save the country and maybe even the world from a deadly plague.  At first, he is called in to eliminate an assassin.  The person to call him in is his brother, Galen Russell, the President of the United States.  Tox and his brother have never gotten along and have a tangled past history.  But when called to save his country, Tox answers.  He gathers his former special ops team members, who have trouble trusting him at the beginning of their mission.  They soon fall back into their old camaraderie and their trust for Tox returns.
Kasey Cortes has been in love with Tox since she was twelve and he was dating her older sister.  She now works as a deception expert for the FBI.  She dedicated her career to following Tox’s trial and proving his innocence.  When he “dies”, she mourns him but goes on with life.  With his return from the dead, all of her feelings for him return, but is he the same man she once knew?  She demands to be a part of his team and soon finds herself a target of a group of assassins.  This group is out to obtain four censors from the time of Moses discovered recently.  The censors were tied to stopping a plague God sent as a result of rebellion among the Israelites.  Tox and his team need to gather the censors to try to stop the plague, but the assassin group wants the censors to spread the plague.
This book is a good start to this author’s new series.  The plot was exciting and filled with suspense and tension.  There is plenty of action with a military focus.  One thing I didn’t care for was the many characters in the story.  There were so many I had trouble keeping them all straight.  Other than that aspect, I was driven to finish the book to see if the team was successful in their mission.  Haven’s profession of a deception expert with the FBI was one I had never heard of, but one I found intriguing.  I am anxious to see what develops in the relationship between Tox and Haven in future installments.  The aspect of the spiritual battle that ran parallel to the military battle was also an interesting angle that I enjoyed.  I also really liked the historical information in the story from various geographical, cultural and religious aspects.  I truly enjoyed learning something about different people and places.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts