Pursuing Gold


Title:  Pursuing Gold (A Novel of the Civil War)
Author:  Cynthia L. Simmons
Pages:  308
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Elk Lake Publishing
My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.
I am always on the hunt for a historical fiction tale and when I come across a new author, I want to read their book.  Here is a debut novel by Cynthia L. Simmons about a bank in the Confederacy trying to stay both solvent and neutral during the war.  Yet, there is a deeper meaning in the title that is revealed in the budding romance between two adults who played together as children.  One is Peter who has to assume ownership and leadership of the bank when his father is suddenly killed in an accident.  The other is Mary Beth whose father is the other part-owner of the bank, but whose failing health is forcing Mary Beth to take a more hands-on approach in the bank’s activities.
As if that wouldn’t be enough, there is a mystery now as forged counterfeit bills are being circulated with Peter’s signature, making the bank responsible for customers’ losses.  With very few clues and more bills being discovered, Mary Beth and Peter must solve the mystery and collect all the bills in circulation before the small bank is force to foreclose!  During their courtship, there seems to be an increase in danger to their lives and they are uncertain as to whom they can entrust the problem to and get assistance.
When I started the novel, it seemed as if I was dropped into a scene or a thought process of the author that made understanding the story a little hard at first for me.  Once I got through a couple of chapters and understood the premise of the novel, I was hooked!  Each page and short chapters made the story’s pace rapidly pick up and more intense the further along I progressed.  There are a few typos in the book that didn’t interrupt my enjoyment of the story, so don’t let that keep you from reading the novel.  I hope the author writes more historical fiction with such drama, tension and mystery in the future because she has a follower of her work for sure!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts