Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Shepherd, Potter, Spy and the Star Namer

Title:  Shepherd, Potter, Spy and the Star Namer
Author:  Peggy Miracle Consolver
Pages:  320
Year:  2015
Publisher:  Carpenters Son Publishing
My rating is 5+ stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. 
Whenever I encounter a new author, I experience feelings of excitement, wondering what I am going to read as well as how well the author weaves the tale.  Peggy has experience as a woman dedicated to reading the Word of God, teaching Sunday School and has been on an archeological dig!  Her dedication to being a student of the Word and having traveled overseas on a dig shows up in the depth and heart of this work of fiction.  If you haven’t been a reader or student of the Old Testament, perhaps this novel will pique your interest.  If you have read the Old Testament, some scenes will jump off the pages!
The tale encompasses a time in ancient history prior to the Hebrews conquering the Promised Land.  It is really interesting how the point of view is from those who had already lived in the land for generations.  I got captivated, wondering if those settled on what God was giving the Hebrews saw them as a threat or as a possible ally.  How influenced were the foreigners’ fears or views of the Jewish people coming by the millions towards their homes by those who sought to destroy them before they crossed into Canaan?
Never before had I even thought how others viewed the Hebrews in the desert before conquering God’s enemies and settling into the land.  I found this a fresh perspective, even though it is fictional.  So remember to read the Word with attention toward the Gibeonites in Joshua 9 & 10, Genesis 10 to Psalm 114.  The Bible will give you the truth as God revealed it and we can learn from that portion of Scripture. The novel isn’t inspired, but a very good tale based on the actual events and persons in the passages mentioned above.
It was fun to travel back in time via the author’s imagination and story as I pictured it in my own mind.  Yes, it involves a time we can relate to very little, but we sure can behold the God who is the same yesterday, today and forever.  Grab your Bible and read the text mentioned above and then when you read the novel it will be even more astounding to you; I promise!
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


Post a Comment