The Alliance

Title:  The Alliance
Author:  Jolina Petersheim
Pages:  384
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Tyndale
My rating is 5 stars.
Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. 
Let me start by saying the sequel will be released spring of 2017 titled, The Divide.  When the area where Leora lives is interrupted by a plane crash, readers will see that is just the beginning!  What follows is tale of two vastly different cultures coming together in order to survive what is assumed to be an EMP attack that renders all electronic gadgets useless.  While this tends not to bother the Old Order Mennonite Community, it does disrupt the Englishers lifestyle greatly!
The pilot of the plane that crashed is sharing his ideas on how they can come together to share or pool their resources for survival.  No one knows for sure what has occurred or the lasting effects, but they know if they don’t do something, starvation will soon encroach up the community.  The elders quickly decide to form an alliance with the outsiders, leaving the protection detail to the Englishers and other chores to the Mennonites.
At first, I thought I wouldn’t enjoy this type of novel, but there is where I was wrong!  I found it a riveting and suspense-filled story along with two men vying for Leora’s attention.  Even Leora isn’t sure who her heart is drawn more toward and her beliefs might be shifting due to the total change to their way of life.
While this is a totally different genre for me, the author did a great job of weaving an engaging tale where the characters are the focus.  The Mennonites are challenged in their beliefs and lifestyle while the Englishers don’t want to step on toes of the Mennonites and are trying to point out the danger the community now faces.  The tension at times is palpable and kept me turning pages for hours until I finished.  So, if you at one time were like me and bypassed a book thinking you wouldn’t like it, perhaps now you will pick up the book and enjoy!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts