Murder on the Moor (Drew Farthering Mystery #5)


Title:  Murder on the Moor (Drew Farthering Mystery #5)
Author:  Julianna Deering
Pages:  321
Year:  2017
Publisher:  Bethany House
My rating is 4 stars.
An old school chum of Drew’s, Beaky Bloodworth, arrives on Drew’s doorstep asking for his detective skills in his home village on the moors.  Drew hasn’t had a mystery for quite a while so he and Madeline are up for the case.  They travel to Beaky’s neck of the woods to try and discover who has been causing some odd happenings around the village and on the moors as well as who killed the old vicar.  Soon after their arrival, Beaky receives a letter from his wife’s old governess, who also lives in his village, stating she had something of importance to tell him.  Before he can talk with her she is found murdered.  Now Drew has two murders to solve, and then there is an attempt on Beaky’s life or is it an attempt on his wife’s life?
Drew also encounters mysterious footprints of a massive dog, who the villagers believe is some sort of ghost hound.  He also finds a couple of places that are being used as hideouts or rendezvous places.  Who is meeting whom?  There has been bad blood between Beaky’s family and their next door neighbors for years.  Beaky is trying to mend the rift, but could they be the culprits of these strange goings on?  Are the murders related to the odd incidents?  Drew is on the case with his erstwhile assistant, Nick Dennison.  Madeline also does her part in helping to find clues and solve the crime.
I love the interplay and chemistry between Drew and Madeline!  Their relationship is most satisfying to read about.  This mystery had a great twist at the end that I only had partially figured out.  To me, as an avid mystery reader, keeping me guessing is a great way to keep my interest in the story.  I also really liked Beaky’s character in this story and Drew’s advice/guidance regarding faith toward Delwyn, the gamekeeper.  He talked about God, but he didn’t beat Delwyn over the head with it.  My only negative about this story is that it moved too slow.  There seemed to be too much time spent walking on the moor.  I have read all the books in this series and am anxious already for the next offering from this author’s pen!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment

Popular Posts