Thursday, February 16, 2017

No Man’s Land (John Puller Series #4)

Title:  No Man’s Land (John Puller Series #4)
Author:  David Baldacci
Pages:  432
Year:  2016
Publisher:  Grand Central Publishing
My rating is 3 out of 5 stars.
In what I assume to be the last novel of the series, the missing mother shared with us in the first novel of the series is found.  John Puller, Sr. is a suspect in the disappearance of his wife and John Puller, Jr. is bucking the Army’s orders all the way while still looking to figure out what happened 30 years ago.  It’s more than just his mother’s vanishing that he wants to solve as around the same time that his mother disappeared four other women were murdered in a town not too far away.
Until recently, the unsolved cold case of the four women and the missing Puller mother were quietly buried.  Now, John hopes to finally have closure and though his older brother Robert wants him to let it go, John doesn’t.  John’s investigation gets entwined in intrigue, political and military issues maybe even espionage.  All John wants to know about is his mother, but what he uncovers are experiments that turn people into possible super soldiers.
While the other three novels were my favorites in the series, this one had just too much of the cussing with f-bombs.  Plus, there wasn’t as much depth to the novel that is evident in the other stories.  The author took lots of time to build the Puller family characters and their history, but this just fell flat.  It was enjoyable, but not as suspense filled as other novels by the author.
Also, there were a few sexual references and such that didn’t add anything to the story, just people using people.  While I appreciate the lack of detail the author gives to those scenes, again they were distracting to the story.  I know that writers can’t get five stars all the time and for the most part I really enjoyed each book, even with the last one ending without the adrenaline rush the other tales gave me.  I hope in future books the author refrains from sexual stuff and the f-bomb so it doesn’t detract from the stories that are published.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment