Monday, March 13, 2017

Home at Last (Chicory Inn Novel #5)

Title:  Home at Last (Chicory Inn Novel #5)
Author:  Deborah Raney
Pages:  352
Year:  2017
Publisher:  Abingdon
My rating 5+ out of 5 stars.
The whole series has been such a joy to read and share with others via reviews!  The series’ novels are intertwined so it is important to read them in order:  Home to Chicory Lane, Two Roads Home, Another Way Home, and Close to Home.  Just like authors, I think readers get attached to characters too, and for me this series really grabbed my heart.  The Whitman family are the central characters of the novels with each novel centering on one or two members of the family.  The parents of the siblings have their home renovated to become an inn and now years later they want to make some changes.
Their only unmarried child, Link, might be getting serious about a woman whose background and experiences bring doubt into the mind of Shay because she can’t see a way for their relationship to work with all the baggage that comes with her.  With her usual touch of compassion and brilliance, Deborah paints the challenges biracial families might face.
On top of that, Shay’s brother is in jail for a long time so Shay and her father are raising his daughter who is a precocious 5-year-old and really funny at times.  Through the novel there are moments of tenderness, love, faith along with danger, suspense and tension.  Sounds like real life does it not?  Well, that is the beauty of Deborah’s series; they really do touch the heart and mind as they reflect what families might go through and how they handle both the good times and the challenges.
As I read this last novel, memories flooded my mind and heart, so I could easily picture the scenes the author crafted for her audience.  It was great that the stories include both the joy and sorrow of living which brought such a sense of realism to the tales.   I hope readers will enjoy all five books in the series as they are all published now so readers don’t have to wait for awhile before the next book to be published.  The Whitmans for a while will live in my heart and mind because they really reflected a faith-filled family with struggles and joys included and the constant change that families go through as life brings various seasons of change.
Carve out some time to read and enjoy the experiences of the Whitman clan and then share with someone you know who likes to read these great novels!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment