Friday, April 28, 2017

The Chapel Car Bride


Title:  The Chapel Car Bride

Author:  Judith Miller

Pages:  352

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Bethany

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

Judith Miller weaves a very engaging tale of a traveling preacher and his daughter who go by train to small towns to share the gospel.  Not only do they share the gospel, but Hope teaches the young children Bible stories and helps the women and children in small towns.  Hope’s father is also a skilled carpenter and helps build or restore homes or churches in the areas they visit.  If there is too small a congregation, they hold services in their chapel that is part of the railroad car they live and travel in.

Luke is a God-fearing young man who senses God’s call to become a preacher in the mining town where he lives.  When he first lays eyes on Hope, he is drawn to her but knowns they come from two totally different lifestyles.  Then there is a young man named Kirby whose father owns the mine.  Kirby is not responsible and always in trouble so his father figures time working in a mine might cause his son to grow up.

What I enjoyed reading so much about the story was when Hope, Luke and Kirby without all the other people and see how tension is immediately evident between Luke and Kirby.  Then when I add in what some miners do to help feed their families when their hours are cut or they are injured and cannot work for a while, I could feel the suspense building!  Those who were doing something illegal were always looking out for revenuers or local sheriffs.  So, throughout the story there is constant playing of hide and seek as well as Kirby’s desire to continue his illegal lifestyle without his father catching on.  Hope begins to see what is going on in the mining town woods and not going to the homes or woods alone.

I enjoyed following the story to see where each character was going, drawing near to the Lord or trying to take care of themselves without help.  I wanted the miners to have their hope restored by being paid wages that were fair for their dangerous jobs and see the women and children cared for in what seemed hopeless circumstances.  There is suspense and danger at times as well as a budding romance, but above all I came away with enjoying a novel where sharing the gospel and following the leading of the Lord was paramount!  Great work by Judith, and I hope more like this are coming soon!

Di,sclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment