The Good Book






Title:  The Good Book
Author:  Deron Spoo
Pages:  400
Year:  2017
Publisher:  David C Cook
My rating 4 out of 5 stars.
The Bible is more than “the good book”, which is what it was referred to where I grew up, like something real but without power.  Perhaps many still look at it this way; I don’t know.  What I do know is the Bible is the only truly inspired, accurate and infallible Word of God.  The author picks and chooses specific chapters of the Bible that he then writes about with a couple of reflection questions afterwards.
Some of what the author wrote might help new Christians get a sense of what God is saying and how it impacts your life. It is meant to help people know God, it is a starting place, then people can explore the many chapters left in the Bible that has so much to feed on.  I don’t think the author meant to write the book as a shortcut to deeper studies or reading through the whole Bible, so I hope readers don’t use this book in that manner.
If you use this book, consider it as a launching pad not a place to stop and dwell.  The focus should be on the Bible and what God reveals to us about Himself.  The questions are centered on what the Word speaking to the reader and transforming us out from our self-centered culture.  I am disappointed that the book doesn’t really challenge people more, to go deeper or contain a Bibliography that points people to consider their next study. Yet each book has a different purpose for being written as the video shows why this one was written.
So, if you do read the book, read discerningly and always question what is before you.  God, though the Holy Spirit, will teach you what is truth.  He will reveal Himself and teach you about Himself in a manner that will transform your mind.
Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Post a Comment

Popular Posts