Thursday, June 22, 2017

Bread of Angels






Title:  Bread of Angels

Author:  Tessa Afshar

Pages:  400

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Lydia is the teenage daughter of a merchant who has perfected the art of making purple dye for textiles.  He is not too successful as a business man as he prefers to spend his time perfecting his art instead of managing his accounts.  As a result, Lydia and her father are not financially secure.  Their products are of excellent quality and the competition seeks her father’s formulas for dye making.  In an underhanded plot, her father is branded a criminal and they are forced to leave the land generations of their family has inhabited, the only city they have known and not practice the only trade they know.

By chance, Lydia meets a young, homeless, Jewish woman who she befriends.  They become best friends and Rebekah begins to tell Lydia about God.  Lydia heretofore has only known Greek or Roman gods.  As Lydia and Rebekah try to survive in a new city in a trade with few women dyers and none owned by a woman, Lydia begins to put a tentative trust in Rebekah’s God.  Then Paul, Silas, Luke and Timothy arrive in town and Lydia’s life is changed forever.

I love Tessa Afshar’s books!  They have a way of developing characters that draw me into their lives from page one until the end.  Her characters are full of life and interesting.  I don’t know that without her outstanding writing ability I would have been much interested in reading about how to make purple dye, but Tessa’s skills piqued my interest and I learned quite a bit!  I also liked the historical look at the life of a woman in Thyatira and Philippi.  The character of Rebekah was so interesting and I would love to see her get her own story.  I highly recommend any of Tessa’s books as they are all outstanding.  Readers won’t be disappointed or feel like they have wasted their time with her books; they will treasure them.



Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment