Friday, June 9, 2017

The Great Chattanooga Bicycle Race


Title:  The Great Chattanooga Bicycle Race

Author:  Mike H. Mizrahi

Pages:  344

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Redemption Press

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

I wondered throughout the book if the story told had any truth in actual history; I would love to know if it does or doesn’t.  The time is after the War Between the States and women have begun riding the Bicycle, which is accepted in some places but is not welcomed in the South.  The clothing for women is changing and that too is not a welcomed change.

There is tension in the book between friends, family, businesses, etc. so the fun was seeing how all the various players were going to deal with their own challenges.  The main character is Anna Gaines who is 19 years old and due to a riding incident has a limp that she believes makes her undesired by the male population.  Anna’s mother is against her riding the bicycle along with the “revealing” new style of clothes.

There are contentions between the townsfolk and those who ride their bicycles.  There is a minor male character who has some underhanded dealings going on and unbeknownst to him is being investigated.  Some of the female background players are interesting and my favorite is Hattie and her heart for Anna as well as her sharing truth that helps Anna overcome her shyness.

I enjoyed the trip back in time and when the bicycle first came on the scene.  I do wish the author shared what was historical fact and what was fiction as that would have helped.  The times set in the book are right on the verge of women demanding certain rights, but the budding romance for Anna has been a fun aspect to read.  I hope many will enjoy the story and share it with a friend.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment