Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Cover Story (A Branigan Powers Mystery #2)


Title:  The Cover Story (A Branigan Powers Mystery #2)

Author:  Deb Richardson-Moore

Pages:  280

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Lion Fiction

My rating is 5 stars.

News reporter Branigan Powers is looking forward to the Christmas holiday as her nephew and niece are coming home from their respective colleges.  Branigan’s niece, Charlie, however is involved in a serious car accident that leaves her in the hospital.  When Branigan first visits her niece, she tells her that an old-fashioned style hearse ran her off the road and that her passenger, Janie Rose, seemed scared even before they left campus to drive home.  A death results from the accident, causing devastation to a family.  Curiosity and a need to find the truth drive as well as being assigned to do a story on the accident, drive Branigan to begin searching for answers.

She is led to the town’s local college where she makes some startling discoveries with the help of a local homeless man, Malachi Martin.  Malachi wants the truth too because he has watched Charlie grow up and sees her compassionate heart for others.  He wants to find out who caused her harm.  Malachi and Branigan pool their resources as they once again interact with some homeless people as in the first mystery in the series titled, The Cantaloupe Thief.  Branigan uncovers secrets that cause the danger to herself to escalate.  She has also begun perhaps a budding romance with a detective, Chester Scovoy.  He wants her safe, but knows her instinct to ferret out the truth will lead her to investigate no matter what he thinks or says.  He just knows he will try his best to keep her safe.

This was a great mystery!  I couldn’t put it down as I was so interested in finding out where the story would take me and who was guilty of murder.  I was totally surprised at the ending!  I liked the character of Branigan because she refuses to give up and wants justice served.  She will keep asking questions until she gets an answer one way or another.  I also liked the romance element that has begun with this installment.  Malachi is a homeless veteran who still has problems, but they don’t keep him from helping others.  He doesn’t help in the hopes of getting something from someone, but because it is the right thing to do.  I’m excited for the next book in the series and have no reservations with recommending this book.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Post a Comment