Miss Leslie’s Secret


Title:  Miss Leslie’s Secret

Author:  Jennifer Moore

Pages:  219

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Covenant Communications, Inc.

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

Conall Stewart has arrived home from fighting a war only to find his home destroyed and his family gone.  No one seems to be able to locate them.  With no place to live, Conall migrates to a small village and rents a home.  He relishes being back in Scotland and being part of a community.  He has dearly missed his homeland.  His eye catches Aileen Leslie, but she keeps her distance from him.  He employs her young son with various odd jobs.  Conall quickly develops an affinity for young Jamie and sees that he is a hard worker who takes pride in a job well done.  He also begins to consider Aileen as a friend and perhaps more.

Aileen Leslie came to the village about eight years ago.  No one knows her past, except Mrs. Campbell her next-door neighbor who arrived with Aileen.  Aileen is a beekeeper to support herself and her son.  She will not accept charity, but as Jamie spends more time with Conall she begins to realize Jamie needs a man in his life to instruct him on how to become a man.  She even feels a little jealous when Jamie spends time with Conall and shows signs of growing up.  She thinks Conall is handsome, but he is rich in her eyes and would want nothing to do with a poor woman like her.  She tries to keep her distance, but she is attracted to him and he to her.  However, she is keeping a big secret that no one can discover or lives will be put in danger.

The story is predictable, but also enjoyable.  There was tension and danger along with romance building to climax of the plot, which held my interest.  I have read other books by this author and found them also worth reading.  The characters in this story, especially Aileen, were engaging for me.  I could relate to her stubborn pride!  I liked the characters of Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Ross to add some light touches of humor.  Conall and Aileen have lived through some terrible events in their young lives, but have survived.  I liked their strength and tenacity.  I look forward to reading more regency romances from this author soon!

Disclosure of Material Connection:  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


Post a Comment

Popular Posts